Here are some talking points to help you explain the Portland Pact to other chefs and encourage them to sign the Pact.
- As chefs, it’s our business to ensure there are strong policies in place that guarantee we have access to food that is good for our customers and good for the planet.
- When it comes to sustainably-caught domestic seafood, we rely on a law known as the Magnuson-Stevens Act.
- The Magnuson-Stevens Act controls the amount of fish that we take from the ocean, so that we can all enjoy this resource now and in the future.
- Since 2000, the Magnuson-Stevens Act has helped recover more than 40 fish species that had been depleted by overfishing. Today, overfishing is near historic lows.
- The Magnuson-Stevens Act also protects the jobs of the fishermen we work with, who rely on healthy fisheries for their livelihoods.
- Unfortunately, some special interest groups and members of Congress are trying to weaken this law, which could spell trouble for chefs and seafood lovers alike.
- By signing the Portland Pact for Sustainable Seafood, we are raising our voices about the need to maintain and build on successful efforts to promote healthy fisheries.
- Let’s make sure we keep our favorite seafood dishes on the menu for years to come.
- Join me. Visit www.chefsforfish.org to learn more and sign the Portland Pact.
Download Talking Points Document